Saturday 26 October 2013

Collection: MAC, Napoleon, Essie - Retail Therapy

 It has been pretty quiet lately... Nothing too exciting happening in our fair city, other than the fact that a square metre of land in Perth is more expensive than the same in Sydney.  Why we're still living here... I don't know.  If we can make it here, we can make it anywhere?  Anyway, here are a few things that I've bought and tried in the past few weeks.


First off, some nail polishes from Essie.  From the left is the Good to Go top coat, because my favourite one from Aritaum is running a bit low.  Then E-nuf is E-nuf, a raspberry pinky red, Chinchilly, a rather taupe-y colour, and Aruba Blue, a deep shimmery blue.  Chinchilly is colour that I've been looking for, so I'm glad I found it.  I feel the other two colours will be great for summer.


This is a set from Napolean that is being given away when you purchase the latest Instyle Magazine.  Apparently its retail value is around $82.  Make of that what you will.   There's a mascara, lip gloss and blush.  No names on the product, but they're in your typical neutral shades.


So far, I've only tried the cream blush - I don't usually gravitate towards cream blushes, but its a good opportunity to try.


I still have to learn how to use it, but we'll get there.


Whilst we're on this Napolean run, I also picked up this lipstick set.  They've come out with a lot of different Christmas gift sets, but this is the only one I was really interested in.  I have a friend who recommended I try their lipsticks for the longest time, and now the time has come!


This is the packaging - clear, weighted acrylic with gold lettering.  It doesn't really appeal to me.  It doesn't really look like a product that should be in a department store...  I thinks its the white bit that makes me feel this way.  The Shu Uemura lipsticks are similarly in an acrylic case, but there's no white bits.


Perhaps if the gold casing went all the way down?  Also, I don't really feel they need to show the colour on the bottom as well.  You can already see the colour from the top of the tube.


Anyway, the formula makes up for its packaging issues.  Very creamy, and pigmented.  And they've chosen a really nice trio of colours for this set.


L-R: Electra, Calypso, Hess


I picked up 2 lipsticks from the MAC Retro Matte collection.  I love the colours that MAC has.  I feel they cater to more skin tones than what is usually available in Australia.  Or maybe more suited to me?  And we all know I love my lipsticks!  I first encountered this formula with Ruby Woo.  I thought that I wouldn't enjoy the matte formula, but with a bit of lip scrubbing, its working out pretty well.


The shades I picked up were Dangerous and Relentlessly Red.  In the tube, they look ridiculously similar.  However, Dangerous is more orange and Relentlessly Red is more pink.


Almost identical!


The swatches show the true difference in colour.  They are a bit more maintenance than other lipsticks, but I exfoliate my face every few days, why not my lips?


I picked up Pokemon X - a local store had a few copies left!  Its quite addictive!  I like how some of the older generation Pokemon make appearances too.  Off to play some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment